Evident Change helps individuals and groups build capacity, accountability, and sustainability toward increased equity and reduced disparities.
Our “Working With and Across Differences” approach provides a conceptual framework for thinking about power and privilege in an experiential learning environment. This approach recognizes key differences among participants, who examine and discuss the impact of race, class, gender, sexual orientation, and other “isms.” Activities include training, facilitated small-group discussions, and coaching, beginning with scenarios like:
- Think about a time when you were working with someone who was different from you. What made the interaction easy or hard?
- Think about a time you tried to support someone and the help wasn’t received the way you thought it would.
- Think about a time you were in a conversation with someone, and you found that you’d stopped listening. What was the topic of discussion? Who was leading? Who was at the table?
- Think about a time when someone started talking about race, religion, sexual orientation, gender, etc., and you felt uncomfortable.
Working with Evident Change, training participants develop common language to navigate these dynamics; a culturally relevant and accountable “lens” for their work; and enhanced skills for discussing multiculturalism internally, with stakeholders, and with clients.
The conceptual framework and experiential learning activities help participants:
- Decenter whiteness
- Interrupt and interrogate how individuals, groups, and communities navigate a white supremacy infrastructure
- Create and spread a common language to effectively talk about and across differences, including race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, socioeconomic class, and power differentials
- Learn how to recognize and understand the behavioral manifestations and impact of privilege and oppression on interpersonal relationships
- Gain tools and strategies to provide culturally relevant interactions for their clients
- Use these strategies in their personal and professional lives
Evident Change also offers the Data for Equity model to help organizations use their data to ensure that their desired outcomes are racially equitable.
For more information, contact Evident Change’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion team.