The Country Is Talking About Child Sex Trafficking—And So Are We
June 23, 2016 | NCCD
Headlines about the sex trafficking of children are all too common. The recent arrest of 238 people involved in trafficking minors in Los Angeles only highlights the need for deeper understanding of the issue. Child sex trafficking, also known as commercial sexual exploitation of children (CSEC), will be the focus of a NCCD Conference on Children, Youth, and Families pre-conference session. The half-day CSEC session on October 4 kicks off three days of over forty sessions on child welfare and juvenile justice issues.
During the CSEC panel, experts will discuss important issues in CSEC prevention and intervention, the elimination of the term “child prostitute,” and more. NCCD staff will discuss their recent research on reaching high-risk youth in the child welfare system as candidates for prevention services.
Participants in the session will include:
- The Honorable Catherine J. Pratt, Los Angeles Superior Court, Founder of STAR Court. STAR Court offers alternatives to detention and a range of comprehensive services and support for youth arrested for involvement in prostitution as sex-trafficked minors, instead of having them criminally prosecuted in juvenile court.
- Falilah Bilal, Transformative Movement Consultant. Bilal’s work is centered in healing practices, empowering women and girls, youth development, innovative thought, and transformative movement. She provides visionary, dynamic, and strategic leadership to organizations, individuals and groups.
- Ed Fithyan, Division Chief, Los Angeles Department of Children and Family Services Emergency Response Command Post. LA DCFS uses a uniform service-delivery model that measurably improves child safety, permanency, and access to effective and caring services.
- Kimberly Casey, Director of Prevention, Love146. Love146 is an international human rights organization working to end child trafficking and exploitation through survivor care and prevention.
- Deirdre O’Connor, Associate Director for Strategic Initiatives, NCCD
- Andrea Bogie, Researcher, NCCD
- Amanda Silver, Program Associate, NCCD
The CSEC pre-conference session will take place on October 4. Participants in the pre-conference must be registered for the full conference.
Please share widely with your network! We look forward to seeing you in October.